InventoryJuly 21st, 2008 by Reinder
So.. what is new on the new website? What did I spend upwards of 12 hours on?
- New top area design with a smaller logo and space for a large ad;
- Nav area with important site stuff moved out of the right column to the top, where people are more likely to see it.
- Below the fold area on the home page simplified. Left bar with "Current story" and "Featured story" taken out because I didn't maintain them anyway. Blog now has 500 pixels of width.
- Comic page navigation is no longer made up of fake buttons, but ordinary links printed larger.
- The site now has a real footer.
- Right column is now reserved for advertising, giving existing ads more visibility.
- One large new ad on top of all pages in the CMS; more pages have the square Project Wonderful ads, in a visible spot. Google ads are now treated as legacy ads, to be given a low priority if not removed completely.
- More pages are now part of the CMS (14 added over the past few days); more pages already within the CMS run off the same style sheet.
- Some pages not in the CMS also run at least partly off the main style sheet. These are pages like the Rogues of Clwyd-Rhan cast page where constructing them from the CMS is more effort than maintaining them by hand (most of the individual cast entries are in the CMS though).
- All materials copied over to the new server, except the old Gallery installation. I may or may not build a new one, or build a gallery from either WillowCMS or WordPress if I need to.
- The blog now runs off WordPress.
Still to do:
- Move all remaining cast pages to WillowCMS. Fill up the empty spots on the cast list.
- Get the WordPress templates to behave, particularly in Internet Explorer, which I don't have.
- Make a stripped-down version of the blog to iFrame under certain pages of outside websites.
- Check all the links and especially image references in the blog so they don't point to the space on Xepher.net anymore.
- RSS feed for the comic.
- Minor consistency fixes as and when I come across them.
- Logos for the various non ROCR comics on the site.
- Possible OSCommerce installation to sell art through the website.
- Fix a few archive pages that are missing or broken or not remastered.
- Approve some more Transcriptions that have been sent in.
- I guess it would also be nice if I wrote and drew some more comics.