In October of 2018, I did Inktober! I followed most of the official prompts and got 30 out of 31 drawings done, with some cheating. In the process, I wanted to do traditional drawing and inking as much as possible, because I was getting a bit rusty at things like getting the size and position of my drawing right at the first try. However, I also tried to use my iPad Pro as much as possible for processing and post-work, including contrast fixing, touch-ups and coloring. I even experimented with using the iPad camera to photograph the art instead of using a flatbed scanner, as I had done with some of my Decemboobs drawings the year before. However, I quickly abandoned that as a standard procedure though I used the camera a few times later in the month when I was in a hurry.
This made for an interesting problems. It turns out that the iPad camera really needs good natural light, and as I did the work early in the morning and late in the evening in October, and sometimes had to wait for ink to dry, natural light wasn’t always available. Plus I had to figure out what apps on the iPad did contrast correction the most effectively This first drawing shows some of the teething problems: I tried to fix a bad photograph of my drawing in Autodesk Sketchbook and the fixes didn’t turn out good.
What I wrote about this at the time:
1: Poisonous. The pufferfish looks so happy with its mouth stuck in that grin but its puffed-up state is a sign that it’s threatened. It doesn’t become any more or less poisonous to eat regardless of its emotional state.
Brush pens on sketchbook pages with some post-fixes in Autodesk Sketchbook on iPad Pro. One thing I’ll learn to do this month is use the scanning functionality on iPad correctly. Here, it’s pretty easy to see what is the original ink and which inks are digital. For the purposes of Inktober, I don’t mind, but this state of affairs will change.